Now that I've gathered my contacts, the next thing to do is to try to identify the industries that have legs, and are growing.
This time of the year, there are plenty of sites discussing predictions for 2005, and I've utilised these, along with my own knowledge of the space to identify a top 6 areas that are worthy of consideration.
My top 6 industries for 2005 are as follows
- Networking / Transport / Access (Optical, IP/MPLS, Ethernet, PWE)
- Distributed Computing (Compute, Storage, Databases, Mesh, Utility, Motes, Desktop Search)
- Triple Play Plus (Voice, Video, Data - especially VoIP/WiFi & GSM/UMTS interworking)
- WiFi / WiMax & mesh networking
- Smart Home / Media Gatway (IP STB, PVR, VoD, ZigBee)
I've got plenty of thoughts about how the above areas are going to grow and expand, and may discuss this further in the future.
I've left out a few more because although they are going to be big, I don't personally have any experience in the area, or I don't think 2005 is going to be the year. These are
- NanoTechnology (MEMS / Automotive)
- OLED Display technology
- Software Programmable Radio
Next job is to find some companies in these areas that have vacancies in the UK. Note that this post will be updated over time with links to later blogs containing more info on the above areas.